[CentOS-devel] CentOS-4.4 yumconf

Phil Schaffner Philip.R.Schaffner at nasa.gov
Thu Oct 12 12:27:07 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-10-11 at 18:22 -0500, C.M. Connelly wrote:
> Like, I suspect, most people using CentOS, I'm not paid to work on
> the OS, and I don't have time to hang out on IRC on the off chance
> that someone will bring up something that might completely screw
> up my systems down the road.
>
> To be frank, saying, ``Oh, we talked about that on IRC,'' is about
> as useful as saying, ``Jennie, Bob, and I talked about it over a
> drink at the Boo Bar.''
>
> IRC is a great place to work out implementation details and maybe
> even do some thought experiments to imagine what the impact might
> be, but mailing lists are a much better place to have real
> discussions, especially when your changes might impact people
> outside the tiny circle of people who frequent the IRC channel.

Will come out of my "lurker" closet to chime in agreement with Claire.
This would seem to be the appropriate list to discuss the philosophy and
implications of development decisions.  I subscribed originally because
of testing packages and wanting to provide feedback through the
appropriate channel.  I have stayed because of interest in where the
development is headed and the opportunity to see what the developers are
thinking in a high signal-to-noise environment.

I also don't get paid to develop CentOS, and don't have time to hang out
on IRC, but can give a bit back to the community by providing feedback,
bug reports, and occasional help on the users list.  [Although I find my
opinions are sometimes not shared by the developers, hay, that's what
community dialog is all about, and I tend to defer to their opinions and
avoid pointless debates and flame wars.  But I digress...]

Please do consider more discussions on issues such as the yumconf
approach on this list.

On Thu, 2006-10-12 at 09:09 +1000, John Newbigin wrote:
> I still would like (at a minimum) to see the files put back into the
> yumconf package.  Even better would be yumconf-centos which provides
> yumconf.

Agree.

Thanks for listening, and for the great OS.

Phil