[CentOS-devel] rhwas 5 work?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 15:48:31 UTC 2008

Johnny Hughes wrote:

>>> And even Java 1.6 is a strech, as the webstack is currently built
>>> using java-1.4.2 ... which we can not use to build since we can not
>>> distribute it.
>>
>> What's the problem with a jpackage nosrc rpm and instructions to
>> download your own copy of the java binary from Sun and execute this
>> command?
>>

> Because CentOS does not distribute RPMS that we can't get repo closure on.

By popular demand?  Dictated by some arbitrary policy?

> People expect that if they say yum install jbossas it will work and NOT
> require them to build stuff.

I don't know anyone who currently expects that.  Those expectations were
dashed long ago in the fedora/centos world along with any expectations
of java being usable at all.  They used to expect to go spend a day
reading the jpackage docs to find the right pieces, then grab the Sun
package, rebuild the nosrc rpm, then use yum to install the jpackage
apps.  But current fedora and Centos 5.x include broken versions of what
jpackage used to provide and jpackage doesn't even have documentation on
how to use their packages with them even thought the nosrc rpm for sun
would probably still work.

> Also ... I can't build GPL stuff against NON-FREE stuff and distribute
> it as GPL :D

Aggregation isn't a problem.

> (Well or at least it is a questionable proactice)

Nobody questioned it when Sun was the only possible JVM.

> AND since there is a FREE / GPL version available that is what we will
> use or we won't distribute it.

But what about that expectation of working...

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com