[CentOS-devel] Upgrading postgresql (Re: CentOS/RHEL 5.3)

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 21:40:34 UTC 2009

Jeff Johnson wrote:

>>> But create your own virtuality reality approach if you want.
>>>

>> I think you missed my point, which is that RPM packaging doesn't provide
>> facilities for what needs to be done.  Postgres upstream is just more
>> honest than most in recognizing the problem.  It's not the only thing
>> that ever has non-backward-compatible updates.
>>

> I believe that one can easily conclude
>     RPM packaging doesn't provide facilities for what needs to be done
> from
>     Don't attempt postgres database upgrades in packaging.
>
> You the one who wishes
>     I'd just like to see a realistic approach to updates via packages.

Meaning I'd like RPM to be changed so multiple versions of packages
could co-exist, as is often necessary in practice.

> That Does Not Compute with current RPM facilities and existing postgres
> upgrade mechanisms.

Agreed, it doesn't work.  Nor does any other RPM-managed update where
you need to have both old and new packages simultaneously working for a
while.  The special case for the kernel is about the only place where it
even attempts to keep old versions around for an emergency fallback.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com