[CentOS-devel] Upgrading postgresql (Re: CentOS/RHEL 5.3)

Jeff Johnson n3npq at mac.com
Thu Jan 22 21:49:32 UTC 2009

On Jan 22, 2009, at 4:40 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:

> Agreed, it doesn't work.  Nor does any other RPM-managed update where
> you need to have both old and new packages simultaneously working
> for a
> while.  The special case for the kernel is about the only place
> where it
> even attempts to keep old versions around for an emergency fallback.

Honking about RPM deficiencies on a CentOS Devel list is hot air going
no place.

FWIW, there's no package system that provides sufficient facilties to
undertake
a postgres upgrade reliably during upgrade that I'm aware of. Nor is it
"recommended" afaik.

But supply a pointer to your favorite package manager that _DOES_
attempt
postgres database upgrades and I'll be happy to attempt equivalent in
RPM.

Personally, I think that database upgrades have almost nothing
to do with instaling packages, but I'd rather add whatever is useful
than discuss well known RPM deficiencies for another decade.

73 de Jeff