[CentOS-devel] Apache ServerTokens says Red Hat

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 22:11:15 UTC 2009

Karanbir Singh wrote:
> On 04/09/09 21:38, Peter Magnusson wrote:
>>> That problem has been long dealt with. Use HWADDR in ifcfg-* to
>>> statically bind physical interfaces.
>> Tried that.
>> Didnt work.
>
> are you saying that specifying the hwaddr still got you wrong device
> name allocations ? I find that quite hard to believe, unless you are
> doing some wierd bridging stuff and the nic's are not really using
> physical devices.
>
> a bit more info about your setup would be good. on a usual machine, with
> usual nic's - I've never heard of hwaddr allocations going walkabout. ever.

Don't know about his situation but one place the concept is a real killer is
when you ship an installed disk to a remote location to be plugged into a new
identical box.  Even on the times when I knew the MAC addresses and tried to
preconfigure them, something would generally rename my prepared ifcfg-* files
and generate new ones with an unwanted DCHP setting on the first boot.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com