[CentOS-devel] DRBD again...

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Mon May 31 17:05:01 UTC 2010

On Mon, 31 May 2010, Joseph L. Casale wrote:

> A while we discussed dropping the old drbd packages out of the repo.
> I have a two node cluster I rolled from the same ks file and built
> rpms from a supported version of drbd using their trivial and well
> documented method, so when I needed help, I could get it:)
>
> During a `yum update` on only "one" node, it wants to replace
> drbd.x86_64 8.3.7-1 with drbd82? Uh, ok...
>
> I don't have the genuine skill to manage packages for a repo of such
> importance like a CentOS repo, but an abandoned package is of equal
> harm. When a user installs those and then goes to the drbd list for
> help I suspect he would get the same reply if he installed CentOS 5.0
> then encountered an issue and asked for help. Fair? The list of fixes
> from 8.2.x to current is long.
>
> Given the package building is so well done for drbd, by Linbit, does
> it make sense to duplicate their effort and simply make work for the
> maintainers of this repo?

Hi Joseph,

We (ELRepo) are actually discussing to provide kmod-drbd and drbd packages
from the ELRepo project (http://elrepo.org/). The goal of the ELRepo
project is to provide additional kernel driver (modules) and additional
features that the upstream RHEL kernel is lacking for use with both RHEL's
and CentOS' kernel.

DRBD in fact fits nicely into this and, as it is now, a lot of people
first look at ELRepo when looking for kernel modules anyway. However the
importance of bringing out quality packages is very high (the risk of bad
things happening too) so we can use all the help we can get to test them
once they appear in the ELRepo testing repository.

I hope we can target both drbd80 as well as drbd83, while staying
compatible with existing installations and keeping the releases current
(testing will have the same or a newer release than production).

Any feedback is welcome.

Kind regards,