[CentOS-devel] progress?

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Mon Feb 21 14:55:58 UTC 2011

Hi,

On 02/19/2011 04:53 PM, Lamar Owen wrote:
> For all I know Johnny and Karanbir and whoever else is doing buildsystem work for CentOS may be using koji; but my gut feel is that if they're not using it now it's too late in this cycle to start with it.

We dont use Koji, there are no plans to use koji or anything like that.
We have very basic requirements from the buildsystem and we have a lot
of requirements on the testing side of things. Going with a basic
process that can work with srpms and work with automated testing at the
other end is what was decided. Were sticking with that for the near future.

> Perhaps in the future;  and perhaps not, that's up to the folk doing the actual work of producing the distribution to decide.  Not my decision, that much is for sure.  Now if I wanted to produce my own dist (LOOSE; Lamar Owen's Operating System - Enterprise) it would be up to me.  But this is CentOS, and it isn't up to me.  I shouldn't try to be a backseat driver, IOW.

the idea of 'version control' is interesting, we publish ( just as we
work with ) complete, tested srpms as the code-component because it
helps retain some level of sanity ( even if the idea of sanity is insane
in cases with builddep's are no longer relevant etc ). However if people
want to work with a git like repo, I created and pulled in the el6
codebase into git repo's, hosted at https://nazar.karan.org/cgit/ -
thats available as a purely side effect resource that people want to
look at, its not what we work with within centos.

- KB