[CentOS-devel] A new look for CentOS (was Re: Italian Translation Team)

Mon Jan 31 18:07:47 UTC 2011

Ralph Angenendt wrote on 01/30/2011 12:41 PM:
> Am 29.01.11 05:18, schrieb Phil Schaffner:
>
>> 1. A relatively seamless transition from the old site to the new,
>> preserving both content and internal links to the greatest extent
>> possible, and migrating existing active accounts.
>
> Internal links meaning links to already existing forum posts? That could
> be quite hard to maintain (although yes, it would be great).

Understood.

>> 3. A mechanism for registering new users that locks out the spambots
>> that have plagued the forum.  Individual spammers we can handle with
>> relative ease.  The bogus accounts by the thousands are much more of a
>> drain on resources.
>
> Yes. Especially as not all of them can be weeded out via database access
> easily, either. We did that with lots of accounts, but that didn't
> really help in the long run.

I was thinking of using some mechanism like captcha - not perfect, as I
understand that it can sometimes be defeated by a sophisticated bot. but
would probably help a lot.

>> Similar concerns apply to the Wiki - Seamless migration of existing
>> content, and an easy path for contributors to continue their work, while
>> preventing bad guys from doing damage.
>
> I really wouldn't touch the wiki stuff, except of upgrading to a new
> version, maybe, once I can figure out a *working* way to do that. The
> moin migration scripts aren't that hot.

My misunderstanding there - thought a new Wiki was being contemplated as
well.

Phil