[CentOS-devel] Status of CentOS 5 for the i586?

Akemi Yagi amyagi at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 21:23:15 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 2:04 PM, Lamar Owen <lowen at pari.edu> wrote:
> On Friday, June 03, 2011 04:57:13 PM Cody Jackson wrote:

>> Also, when C6 comes out, I'll happily grab the .src.rpm and see if it
>> has a liking for the i586 arch as well.
>
> That one may be much harder, since it currently requires PAE on 32 bit x86, and due to the elimination of the separation between the distributed source tarball and patch bundles.  To the best of my knowledge PAE has never been available on i586, so that issue will have to be addressed (pardon the pun) as well.

If anyone is serious about providing the i586 support for CentOS-6,
it's worth trying by starting with the "expected" modifications to the
spec and config files. The distro config of the el6 kernel has:

CONFIG_X86_PAE=y
# CONFIG_M586 is not set

Whether the kernel builds without a problem or, if it is indeed built,
whether it actually runs is another story :-)

_Assuming_ there is no need to patch the code itself, the single
source tarball should not be an issue just like it is not for the
centosplus kernels (so far).

Akemi