[CentOS-devel] Status of CentOS 5 for the i586?

Yury V. Zaytsev yury at shurup.com
Fri Jun 3 22:16:09 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-06-03 at 11:44 -0400, Jeff Johnson wrote:

> So grab the SRPM's and import spec/patches into git.
> Its easier to do than to advocate imho.

What makes you think that I am not doing it?

I believe that it's not hard to see where I'm going: I am not exactly in
the RHEL rebuilding business as my primarily occupation, so it would be
highly beneficial for me to have access to the CentOS repos.

Ok maybe this discussion has to be postponed again for an indefinite
amount of time.

On Fri, 2011-06-03 at 17:08 +0100, Karanbir Singh wrote:

> We have had spec files and content in a version control setup for about
> 6 years now :)

Ok, that's really new, but great to hear! There were contrary claims to
that on the mailing list which might have resulted into (my?) confusion.

> version control does not solve anything really, its just a storage
> mechanism. It might make things easier for some people, harder for
> others, but its just a storage format for some parts of the metadata.

Exactly, but it's not *just* a storage mechanism, but rather a storage
mechanism which also allows for easy sharing and collaboration.

> Also, using git is definitely the way to go these days. Specially now
> that it can work with depth extraction from remote repos.

+1. You know that I am with you on this one.

--
Sincerely yours,
Yury V. Zaytsev