[CentOS-devel] Status of CentOS 5 for the i586?

Yury V. Zaytsev yury at shurup.com
Mon Jun 6 11:28:14 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-06-06 at 16:42 +0600, Dmitry E. Mikhailov wrote:

> > In addition, it's kick-starting
> > alt-arch support for things like ALPHA, SPARC, I64, etc. (Maybe.)
> A lot harder to test, hardware is rare/expensive, what kernel options to
> use... Lots of questions.

I have some double-headed UltraSPARC III blades with 1 or 2 Gigs of RAM
doing nothing in the basement that I could in theory contribute to a
good cause.

The only thing I'm not sure of is how I could get them hooked up to the
network. We are very strictly firewalled and I'll very certainly get
into trouble for providing a reverse ssh or a login server.

I used to play with OpenSolaris on those, but now basically their are
just heating the air because of the catastrophic lack of time...

In what concerns the unobtainium, I'm not sure how it makes sense at all
since it's discontinued anyways.

> Is it silly to ask 'what the Mock is?' Don't lmgtfy.com me, Ok?

Not it's not. Mock is basically just a frontend to rpmbuild ala
pbuilder, which takes care of setting up clean chroots and resolving
dependencies for predictable and reproducible package rebuilds.

--
Sincerely yours,
Yury V. Zaytsev