[CentOS-devel] CentOS-[56] Continous Release

Ljubomir Ljubojevic office at plnet.rs
Tue Jun 21 13:52:43 UTC 2011

Karanbir Singh wrote:
> On 06/21/2011 02:02 PM, Manuel Wolfshant wrote:
>>>    We could then obsolte: that centos-release-CR rpm
>>> with the centos-release that comes down the road when the isos/ are in
>>> place and the new release announced.
>> I am not sure I get this part. Since the packages are not changed ( I
>> presume the NEVR remains the same when the packages are moved from CR to
>> "stable"), how would this "obsolete" process happen ? I am used to the
>> fedora / fedora epel "testing" phase which is basically
>
> so lets take an example:
> 5.6/os/centos-release-5-6.0.i386.rpm
> 5.6/os/ < has no centos-release rpm >
> 5.6/CR/updates/centos-release-CR-5-7.0.i386.rpm ( which only contains
> the repo definition for the CR repo )
>
> and when there is a 5.7 :
> 5.7/os/centos-release-5-7.0.i386.rpm ( with an Obsoletes:
> centos-release-CR <= 5-7.0; and drop a copy of this rpm into the 5.6/CR/
> repo as well.
>
> Would that work ?
>
> - KB

Will centos-release-5-7.0.i386.rpm delete "centos-CR.repo" file in *any*
case, or are there possibilities that "centos-CR.repo" somehow survives?

If it's name is changed by accident, CR repository will stay enabled.
Can that affect 5.7 repository in any way by like dist-sync but in the
opposite direction 5.7 -> 5.6/CR?

I am not well versed in this type of problems so I might ask stupid
questions.

Ljubomir