[CentOS-devel] CentOS-[56] Continous Release

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 18:03:38 UTC 2011

On 6/21/2011 11:51 AM, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> On 06/21/2011 05:35 PM, Karanbir Singh wrote:
>>> (and yes, this is from experience...).  And I thought last time around
>>> you said these packages would go through the normal qa process before
>>> even going into the option CR repo, so I'll repeat the question as to
>>> why you think something is going to be wrong with them.
>
> To re-iterate:
>
> - rpms will be built, and will go through the usual tests
> - once QA is happy each rpm will be individually added to a whitelist
> allowing it to be pushed automatically to the CR repo.
> - packages from CR will move into the /os/ or /updates/ repo for the
> point release coming along when its done
> - if we need to rebuild a package that has already been released
> publicly, there will be a EVR bump.

So, if you were managing an internet connected host running CentOS,
would you configure it to track the CR repo or not?  Or what criteria
would you use to make this decision?  I'm still having trouble seeing
why, if upstream decided they should go out, that someone running what
is essentially identical to that upstream code doesn't need them for the
same reasons.  Or why to think the risk of installing them outweighs the
risk of continuing to run what upstream had its reasons to replace.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com