[CentOS-devel] moving the CR repo into mainstream release

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 00:27:46 UTC 2011

On Sun, Nov 20, 2011 at 3:32 PM, Greg Lindahl <greg at blekko.com> wrote:

> I'm here posting about this issue because I'm responding to this
> question:
>
>> What stability problems would you expect from updates beyond a point
>> release?  The whole point of an 'enterprise' distribution is the
>> effort they make to not break api's across a whole major-rev's life.
>> Would an upstream system break if you selectively update packages
>> beyond a point release without doing a full update?
>
> The fact that upstream hasn't tested these rpm combinations means that
> there's risk involved.

Updates can't be tested against your local applications either - which
is what you'd care most about.  But the risk of breakage is small
because upstream doesn't make changes that break API's as a matter of
policy across major revisions - which is the whole point of
'enterprise' versions.   If you don't change an API, you don't need to
re-test against everything that uses it.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com