[CentOS-devel] moving the CR repo into mainstream release

Greg Lindahl greg at blekko.com
Mon Nov 21 01:10:32 UTC 2011

On Sun, Nov 20, 2011 at 06:27:46PM -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:

> > The fact that upstream hasn't tested these rpm combinations means that
> > there's risk involved.
>
> Updates can't be tested against your local applications either - which
> is what you'd care most about.

Well, if you recall what I wrote previously in the thread, I said that
I tested my local applications carefully against point releases, and
not that much against intermediate updates, which tend to be much
smaller and less risky than the changes in the point releases.

With CR, I'd have to do a lot more testing.

> If you don't change an API, you don't need to
> re-test against everything that uses it.

You saw my previous comments about how upstream _does_ change APIs,
but seemingly only in point releases? For example, the InfiniBand
stuff changed dramatically through the 5.X releases. Each time they'd
backport a bunch of stuff into the kernel, and release matching
userspace rpms.

Sorry to be repeating myself so much, but I think the point about when
upstream makes bigger changes (point releases) is important for
everyone to understand.

-- greg