[CentOS-devel] Testers needed: nx (upgrade to the 3.5.0 series) and freenx (SELinux fix)

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Tue Oct 25 17:13:06 UTC 2011

On 10/25/2011 11:22 AM, Akemi Yagi wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 2:37 AM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:
>
>> I did test these, works with selinux fix. It turned to out be a case of
>> virt-install new VM on a remote machine; yum install nx and freenx on
>> this remote machine; install the nx client from nomachine.com - setup it
>> to use GNOME desktop, paste in the client.id_dsa.key and connect.
>>
>> I did haveto yum groupinstall Desktop and X Window System to get the
>> remote GUI to come up. And then I had to install a bunch of fonts to
>> make things look right ( http://www.karan.org/stuff/Screenshot-5.png was
>> what I got without the fonts )
>
> Thanks for testing.
>
> I forgot to mention that the selinux fix was needed only for CentOS-6.
> CentOS-5 did not need any adjustment.
>
> What to include as 'Requires' can be tricky. NX needs a desktop for
> sure but it can be gnome or KDE or even something else. So far, it's
> up to the user to make sure X and a desktop are available when using
> NX.

I concur with this ... obviously one has many options for an X desktop
(gnome, KDE, XFCE, twm, etc.).

Because there is no "package" or "group" that is a generic "GUI Window
Manager" (although, there could be one added that each of the windows
managers provide ... that would be an upstream decision), the only
requires that NX should have, IMHO, is things that make it work with any
Window Manager.  It assumes that you have a working GUI and a working X
and you want to share that desktop it.  Otherwise we get people who want
to use NX with XFCE or KDE that also need a bunch of gnome packages for
the requirements (if we picked metacity as the WM).