[CentOS-docs] "TipsAndTricks/ApacheVhostDir" changes for virtual host source files

Ed Heron Ed at Heron-ent.com
Wed Dec 16 22:30:09 UTC 2009

  I see someone has noticed my lack of suggestions or recommendations for
placement of virtual host source files...

  Since there are many places to put virtual host source files, I had
intentionally avoided the discussion due to the complexities and to keep the
document restricted to a single topic.  I had planned to create a separate
document devoted to the discussion.  Specifically, there are a couple of
SELinux related issues to work out with a couple of them.  I would start a
discussion of the various places to put virtual host source files and the
issues associated with them.  Where should such a discussion take place?  In
one of the forums or on this list?

  However, I'm not sure what is meant by " The following section is the
approach advocated by its initial author, EdHeron. It is not clear that
varying from the approach above is warranted, and by the version from him,
does not explain the needed SElinux changes."
  It appears to suggest my disclaimer, "Another method, for those of us that
might have a tendency to 'over engineer', is creating a new directory,
vhost.d for example, and putting an include where the configuration, as
distributed, has the virtual host example. This retains the position of the
virtual host definitions in the Apache configuration", isn't enough to
discourage most system administrators from using it or explain my reasons
and give a reader a hint that there are other ways, even, from the three
discussed?
  As far as the SELinux issue, from the directory listing that accompanies
the directory creation instruction, a reader might notice that the SELinux
user is listed as root instead of system_u.  The SELinux user discrepancy is
resolved with the chcon command shown.  Is there a desire for additional
explanation of the process?
  The additional warning against the vhost.d/ section seems to excessively
disparage my contribution and discourage other options.  Certainly, it could
be considered impolite to expand and significantly modify the content of a
document when the author is available and willing to make changes.  As well,
I seek to improve my documentation technique and by-passing me deprives me
of the opportunity.

  I'd like to know the process that culminated in the changes to my
document.  Are there a large number of people reading the document, not
understanding it but making non standard changes to their systems, and
requesting support?

Ed Heron