[CentOS-docs] New Wiki Page

David Dreggors ddreggors at cfl.rr.com
Sat May 9 14:16:01 UTC 2009

Dag Wieers wrote:
> On Sat, 9 May 2009, David Dreggors wrote:
>
>> David Dreggors wrote:
>>> OK, I have a first draft of my Wiki page here:
>>>
>>> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Laptops/Compaq/CQ60-206US
>>>
>>> Can I get some feedback on this page?
>
> It looks fine. For the nvidia I would prefer if we go to a packaged
> solution (we do have dkms-nvidia drivers which will have an update soon).
>
> But I hope we can integrate dkms-nvidia into elrepo as kmod-nvidia (and
> xorg-x11-drv-nvidia).

Would love to add that as a solution, just was unaware of that rpm in
the repos. I too also prefer a packaged solution, I do not like to
compile anything.

Madwifi, is a packaged driver as well but will not work for me as I need
the latest madwifi snapshot. The madwifi package that comes with and in
fact has to be removed does not work for my hadrware. Same with the "nv"
driver that comes with CentOS 5.3, I have to use "vesa" until after I
have compiled the "nvidia" driver.

> For the audio (and maybe other unresolved issues) I would advise to look
> for information from other Linux distributions for this type of laptop (or
> veen this type of hardware) and see whether any of those suggestions may
> work for you. It would be nice if we could resolve it asap.

Oh I have exhausted all those means. I even went into the alsa site
looking for answers. I have seen many *similar* issues and have tried a
few of the fixes (mostly modprobe.conf options). None have worked.

I have a page on the CentOS forums for this, no answers there in days,
still 0 posts as of last night.

I even tried #centos again. Again nobody even said hello to me in answer
  to my questions. I saw you there Dag :) you were AFK I guess... said
hello to you.

There are many close (but not exact) issues mentioned for ubuntu. The
fixes all require re-compile of alsa. I am not ready for that yet.

> No, you have to request that it is created for you and that you get
> access. This is another sore point in the process, I would prefer if the
> person granting access would automatically create the Homepage and grant
> the correct access.
>
> And that is something I know how to do for you, so I just did !

Nice, thanks!