[CentOS-docs] Contribution to wiki: nagios incompatibility with centos 5.2

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Thu Sep 17 17:37:38 UTC 2009

On 09/17/2009 07:07 AM, Christoph Maser wrote:
> So we should make a proper nagios documentation on the centos-wiki
> because the official nagios docs suck?

Read my last email in reply to Max. Things are not really that black and
white. Nagios docs suck. Their developers have made it a point to go out
of their way to make content and config process's obscure. The reason
why its still used as widely as it is - is because of the alternative
support mechanisms that exist, and a bit of luck.

On a more general front - are we sure that all docs on the Nagios
website are relevant to CentOS and as specific packages age, will
continue to do so ?

eg. CentOS-3, is a much used platform - are the docs they host at nagios
still relevant ? are the latest / greatest builds still supported on the
C3 platform ?

Irrespective of what the answers to those questions might be - consider
the same question on a more generic level. Do all upstreams everywhere
always have relevant content and will help with any version from anywhere ?

On the completely extreme ( and I say this here only to prove a point, I
am sure you will understand that ), would you argue that the redhat docs
are also a waste of effort and they should - as well, just upstream much
of what they do ? if not all.