[CentOS-docs] Ambiguity on a CentOS dot Org Web Page.

Alan Bartlett ajb at elrepo.org
Sun Feb 21 14:09:04 UTC 2010

On 21 February 2010 03:43, Phil Schaffner <P.R.Schaffner at ieee.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-02-19 at 18:37 -0600, donavan nelson wrote:
>> I suspect if you tried with 6G you would significantly less than 5.1G
>> used post install.
>
> Agreed, as previous tests showed.  Doesn't help much with estimating the
> minimum requirement if the OS won't install, and a practical system
> needs some headroom anyway, so I don't think listing 6GB as a minimum
> for a default install is out of line.
>
> Anybody want to take a crack at a recommended amount of disk space?  I'd
> say at least 20GB for /.  My current KDE/GNOME/Development/Multimedia
> desktop weighs in at 13GB.

Thanks for all your testing Phil. I happily run a C-5 workstation with
a total (physical) disk size of 25 GB. (And you know the sort of
things I regularly do with it.)

I guess the real question is: What was that section of the web page
*really* intending to show when it was first written? Perhaps Donavan
can remember?

Alan.