[CentOS-docs] Proposed edit to VNC server Wiki entry

Byron Veale bveale at njstatelib.org
Tue Feb 23 17:53:57 UTC 2010

From: Ralph Angenendt <ralph.angenendt at gmail.com>

Hmmm. I don't really like to lead people out of the page for further
information, I'd rather see that somehow incorporated into the existing
page.

--> Okay, it was just a suggestion.  If you'd like to give me access to
edit the page, I'd be glad to incorporate the instructions from the Code
Ghar page into the Wiki page.  It could be chapter 7.

------------------------------

From: pjwelsh <pjwelsh at gmail.com>

A heading change could help in at least one of the sections in order to
be more clear... But there is "To allow all users login screen
access..." info in the existing VNC-Server page that is still more
simple than the remote-login-with-gdm-and-vnc-on-fedora-11 page.

--> Yes, they may be simpler, but those instructions don't allow for
remote log-in -- they are only for controlling the screen of an already
logged-in user.  At least, that is how they worked for me.  FWIW I
followed the instructions completely.

As I mentioned, I believe CEntOS users would appreciate a method of
setting up VNC to allow for remote log-in.  In my opinion, the method on
the Code Ghar blog really isn't more complicated than the other methods
given.  In fact, I think it's a lot easier than the vnc-ltsp-config
method if you take into account the work involved configuring the EPEL
repository for yum, with priorities etc.  (Okay, I might be a bit anal
in using that approach, but I _am_ a newbie...)

Thanks for your attention to this matter,

-Byron

Byron Veale
Webmaster
The New Jersey State Library