[CentOS-docs] Mail / Web server guides

John R. Dennison jrd at gerdesas.com
Mon Mar 25 05:53:01 UTC 2013

On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 04:59:08AM -0000, Christian Salway wrote:
> http://www.itmanx.com/downloads/scripts.tar.gz

I took a quick glance at your scripts as such a toolchain would prove
_very_ useful to many.

Your selinux.sh is an abysmal fail.  It's so discouraging to see this
type of nonsense still going on in 2013.  There is NO REASON to disable
selinux enforcement.

You are also advocating the use of CPAN in your clamav.sh to install
File-Scan-ClamAV from source.  No, please, just... no.  The use of CPAN,
either directly via perl -MCPAN -e shell or the method you use to
retrieve the tarball from the cpan archive system and then building it
yourself, is _strongly_ discouraged on a package managed system.  The
module you are looking for is already prepackaged by rpmforge as
perl-File-Scan-ClamAV and is available for both  CentOS-5 and -6.

I see you are also installing phymyadmin using a source kit install instead
of using the version that is packaged by EPEL which doesn't make any
sense to me considering your repositories.sh installs epel (although
without priorities and you set it to enabled).  Since you also install
remi (why?) there may be conflicts between the two (unconfirmed, I
coulnd't be paid enough to use remi on any box I care about).

You blindly change the host's timezone to UTC?  With no interaction from
the user whether he/she wants this or not? (No, not everyone wants their
boxes in UTC.)

There may be other issues, but these are the ones that jumped out at me
from a _very_ cursory review.

I must admit, I was a little disappointed with things as they stand.
CentOS is a packaged distribution and it's best to stay with components
that are in package format instead of resorting to raw tarball installs.

If such issues could possibkly be resolved I feel these scripts would be very
beneficial to many users.

							John

--
You may be deceived if you trust too much, but you will live in torment if
you don't trust enough.

-- Frank H. Crane (1 January 1873 - 1 September 1948)
   American stage and film actor and director