[CentOS-docs] Archiving wiki.centos.org (next week)

Thu Sep 7 12:06:04 UTC 2023
Fabian Arrotin <arrfab at centos.org>

As discussed multiple times either on centos-devel list (for example
https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-devel/2023-February/142773.html),
or during last docs hackaton in Brussels (day after Fosdem), it was
decided to just archive the wiki as static html files (exported from
moin) and just have these available through git repository

The ticket to track this is https://pagure.io/centos-infra/issue/1245

As we need to also migrate/move that VM elsewhere, and itself
disappearing when CentOS Linux 7 will be EOL, and because the PoC was
enough, I intend to do the following next monday (September 11th):

- snapshot wiki.centos.org content (frozen)
- export to html static page
- import that back in dedicated git repository
(https://gitlab.com/CentOS/docs/wiki_archives-
- have a new vhost that would just pull from that git repository (if
anything was modified/updated) and still content served from
https://wiki.centos.org (so that existing links would still work)

 From that point, it's up to CentOS Docs SIG to decide how/where to put
content, but most of the SIGs already moved content elsewhere (usually
under https://sigs.centos.org) but in the meantime, it will still be
possible to just use git workflow on html files to modify/update/remove
content as needed (interim solution)

Kind Regards,
--
Fabian Arrotin