[CentOS-devel] RFC (Request for Comments) : future of wiki.centos.org

Mon Feb 27 08:05:41 UTC 2023
Fabian Arrotin <arrfab at centos.org>

Let's start discussing the future of wiki.centos.org !

There was a CentOS Docs SIG day happening on monday after Fosdem and
during that day, we started to discuss the future of wiki.centos.org.

As a reminder : https://wiki.centos.org is actually powered by moin
(http://moinmo.in/), which is :
  - python 2.x based
  - unmaintained

It's also running on CentOS Linux 7 (for these requirements), itself
going EOL next year. Also worth adding that it's under constant spammer
load, with plenty of bots trying to write content, be denied, and trying
in a different way, so it's really a "whack a mole" game.

For all these reasons, it has to be replaced by something else, (still a
wiki) or even better, be decommissioned entirely and eventually moved to
a git workflow.

FWIW, it's what is used for all websites from various SIGs under
https://sigs.centos.org (including the SIG guide itself,
https://sigs.centos.org/guide)

As a follow-up on the CentOS SIG day, an investigation (see
https://pagure.io/centos-infra/issue/1061) was started as a PoC to just
extract wiki content in a readable (static) format, so that we can still
host a "read-only" version (archived) of wiki content, while a new
service (wiki or else) would replace it.

All comments/remarks are welcome, and let's have a plan about what to do
(the sooner, the better)

Kind Regards,
--
Fabian Arrotin