[CentOS-devel] CentOS 7/8s EOL and public services/application discussion (READ ME)

Mon Feb 27 07:57:44 UTC 2023
Fabian Arrotin <arrfab at centos.org>

Hi all,

For the first time in CentOS history, we'll have two version going EOL
the same year, at just some week intervals, so we should already be
prepared about this, and the sooner, the better.

Per https://www.centos.org/centos-linux/ and
https://www.centos.org/centos-stream/#centos-stream-8 :
- June 30th 2024 for CentOS Linux 7
- May 31st 2024 for CentOS Stream 8

At the infra side, there are services that we still need to see working,
so we already started to add el9 support to our ansible roles and some
services are already (or will be soon) migrated to el9.

I intend to send multiple mails in the next hours/days about identified
applications for which we're still unsure if we should migrate these ,
or just let them behind (decommission), so if you see a topic/subject
for an application you're interested in, feel free to participate in
that specific thread (easier to read/follow than just everything in one
email thread). These emails should start with something like "RFC
(Request for comments) : future of <app>"

Let me just announce here in advance the (public) infra services running
on CentOS 7 that will just disappear when CentOS 7 itself will be EOL
(and so not receiving any update anymore) :

- mirror.centos.org : all Stream 9 (and above) mirror content is now on
its own dedicated mirror.stream.centos.org CDN setup, so there is no
need to keep an empty mirror.centos.org vhost with no content, as all
content will be moved (as usual) to vault.centos.org. So
mirror.centos.org A/AAAA records will be removed completely. (or we can
just have a simple vhost with a  redirect to mirror.stream.centos.org)

- mirrorlist.centos.org : from Stream 9 (and above), it's using Fedora
infra mirrormanager instance for metalink= instead of mirrorlist= in
.repo files. We'll just decommission our mirror crawler (also running
with a mix of perl/python2 code), so not validating any mirror for
legacy/EOL releases. mirrorlist.centos.org A/AAAA records will be
removed in the following weeks after c7 will be EOL'ed.

--
Fabian Arrotin
gpg key: 17F3B7A1 | @arrfab[@fosstodon.org]