[CentOS-devel] Alternative Images SIG meeting notes

Thu Feb 23 21:29:19 UTC 2023
Troy Dawson <tdawson at redhat.com>

On Thu, Feb 23, 2023 at 1:03 PM Neal Gompa <ngompa13 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 23, 2023 at 3:49 PM Josh Boyer <jwboyer at redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, Feb 23, 2023 at 3:02 PM Troy Dawson <tdawson at redhat.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > * Image build systems: kiwi / livecd
> > >   * Tags and targets are now in CBS.  We are now able to build images
> > >     * Thanks to all those that did that work
> > >
> > >   * We are not able to publish to the mirrors yet
> > >     * https://pagure.io/centos-infra/issue/1039
> > >
> > >   * !! Help is needed creating rpm-ostree stuff in kiwi !!
> > >     * https://github.com/OSInside/kiwi/issues/38
> >
> > We already have tools that can generate rpm-ostree images.  We have
> > entire projects and even products built around these tools.  It seems
> > odd to call for help adding it to another tool when you could just use
> > the tools that already exist.
> >

> There's missing context: the SIG has given up on Image Builder for the
> time being due to osbuild-composer-koji not supporting CBS:
> https://pagure.io/centos-infra/issue/971
>
> The only real interest in ImageBuilder is for RPM-OSTree images. And
> Image Builder doesn't support *anything* that the SIG wants to
> produce, except maybe cloud images.
>
> And I have no interest in pushing for ImageBuilder right now because
> it can't do anything I want either.
>
> > I mention this because the focus of the SIG as it was proposed to the
> > Board was to generate Alternative images.  It wasn't a SIG focused on
> > enhancing kiwi.  I would think the core mission can be accomplished
> > without stalling on a tool that doesn't work for some of these image
> > types.
> >

> In the actual meeting, I brought it up as if anyone is interested in
> rpm-ostree images, I would be happy to help with a contributor to
> support it in kiwi.
>
> So far, there has been no signficant interest in RPM-OSTree images
> from active members of the SIG. I do not hold a ton of interest in
> RPM-OSTree myself, and there's only so much stuff I am willing to do
> that doesn't benefit my needs. We're going to ignore RPM-OSTree for
> the time being and work on all the other things people in the SIG care
> about: disk images, live media, container images, etc.
>
> We're not "stalling on a tool that doesn't work", we're just ignoring
> the thing that nobody is expressing interest in right now. The summary
> of the meeting isn't exactly great at capturing that nuance, though.
> 😅

I had forgotten to send notes from our last meeting, mainly because there
was only one item in it.

Fabian had investigated getting ImageBuilder working on CBS.
https://pagure.io/centos-infra/issue/971
In the end, as Neal said, ImageBuilder isn't able to install in the CBS
infrastructure.
At last week's meeting we decided to drop worrying about ImageBuilder.

There is one member of the SIG that wants rpm-ostree images, but he wasn't
at today's meeting.
I put the emphasis on that line in the email mostly for him.  Basically a
"If you want these, here is a way to get them."

Troy