[CentOS-mirror] dvd iso sync arrangements

Lance Davis lance at uklinux.net
Mon May 15 12:42:09 UTC 2006

Due to unknowns trying to download dvd.iso images from our msync-dvd
servers we have now had to restrict the rsync target to those mirrors that
we know are syncing.

We want to restrict it further to those that are providing master sync
service for other mirrors, this will allow us to plan for future releases
to be able to preset the dvd isos onto those master mirrors before release
and dedicate bandwidth for that.

The current mirrors that are allowed to sync by the config are :-

        #pacific.net.au         61.8.0.17
        #kernel.org             204.152.191.4 204.152.191.36
        #upce.cz                195.113.124.9
        #mirrorservice.org      212.219.56.140
        #esslingen.de           129.143.116.10
        #ncnu.edu.tw            163.22.12.51
        #vutbr.cz               147.229.176.19
        #ftp.chg.ru             193.233.9.194

Of those only 4 - kernel.org, mirrorservice.org, esslingen.de and chg.ru
have told us that they allow rsync, which has to be a prerequisite for
being a master sync mirror.

If any of those are not happy to be listed as a master sync mirror for the
dvd isos , or have limits on bandwidth or resources that may be affected
then please advise us.

We would be grateful if the others would change their config to sync the
dvd iso images from one of those, which will probably provide faster
download than our servers anyway.

We will start to list all mirrors that carry dvd iso images on the website
 and will shortly redirect browsing on mirror.centos.org to those
local mirrors that have the dvd isos and are up to date, as we do for cd
isos. The main difference is that we will only check currency of mirrors
that are flagged in the database as carrying dvds.

We do still need more master sync mirrors but you will not be able to sync
the target without first notifying us (or do initial sync against one of
the sync masters and then request access - as we would prefer sync
masters to eventually sync directly from our servers).

In particular csmb.edu has said that they will be a master sync mirror but
does not appear to be syncing the incdvd target.

Regards
Lance

--
uklinux.net -
The ISP of choice for the discerning Linux user.