[CentOS-mirror] Good stress tester...

florian at gruendler.net florian at gruendler.net
Sun Feb 8 12:42:48 UTC 2009

Hi there,

what makes you believe the machine is having issues when it has not been
made public and served any load yet?

There is two software suites I know of to do automated stress test on
applications or websites as in your scenario

http://www-01.ibm.com/software/awdtools/tester/robot/index.html
http://www.automatedqa.com/products/testcomplete/

But before you invest in such a license and especially time in learning how
to use the software, you are probably better off reading logs pointing to a
hardware failure or just doing away with the machine. A mirror is an ideal
environment to "just see when it fails" and have some network load normal
websites don't see. It won't hurt anybody, the built in failover in yum will
just pick another mirror if the mirror machine goes down or stops serving
requests due to overload.

Sorry for being nearly cynical, but your e-mail address points to a network
company and I suppose there is some people who back up the offerings with
actual know-how do diagnose issues once they happen. You needn't worry about
the design of the mirror as it has been a proven concept working well for
many of us. Be confident, roll it out and let it happen, whatever it be.

Florian