[CentOS-mirror] new private mirror

c.hirschmann-centos at jonaspasche.com c.hirschmann-centos at jonaspasche.com
Thu Nov 11 15:04:37 EST 2010

Hello,

I'm currently setting up a private mirror of CentOS 4 and 5, which will pull from ftp.plusline.de (since Plusline AG is also our uplink provider). We're planning on mirroring 'base' and 'updates' only, at least for the time being. We're going to add CentOS 6 after it is released. We won't mirror CD- and DVD-Images or SRPMs.

According to your site on mirroring (http://www.centos.org/modules/tinycontent/index.php?id=22) I should let you know about this -- although I'm not sure whether this is really addressed at non-public mirrors.

Just in case: Our uplink speed is 100 MBit/s and our machines are in the 82.98.87.0/24 and 82.98.82.0/24 networks, as well as in 2a02:2e0:3fc::/48, the physical location would be Frankfurt am Main, Hessen, Germany. The mirror can be reached under http://mirror.jonaspasche.com/pub/ (both via IPv4 and IPv6), but we'll probably filter client connections that don't come from within our network.

Looking through your mailing list's archive I gathered that you are currently preparing to change your mirror infrastructure. If in doing this you should implement a way to run a private mirror without having to update the CentOS-Base.repo file on every machine (for example by giving clients different mirrorlists depending on the netrange their request are originating from), I'd be very much obliged.

One question: I've found different information on how to configure a private mirror on the client machines, both on your wiki (http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/CreateLocalMirror) and in the mailing list archive. It seems to me that the best way would be to add a custom "baseurl=…" line, leave the "mirrorlist=…" line the way it is and add another line "failovermethod=priority" to the repository definition, as well as disabling yum-fastestmirror. But this is only mentioned in the mailing list archive, not in the wiki. Is there a particular reason why?

And lastly, since I can't say this often enough: We're very happy CentOS users. Keep up the good work and thanks a lot!

Regards and best wishes,

Chris

--
Christopher Hirschmann