[CentOS-mirror] New Mirror: mirror.ancl.hawaii.edu

R. Scott Belford scott at hosef.org
Thu Jul 28 18:02:27 EDT 2011

On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 5:46 PM, Ralph Angenendt
<ralph.angenendt at gmail.com>wrote:

> Am 28.07.11 23:21, schrieb Warren Togami Jr.:
> > Currently the vast majority of our mirror traffic appear to be random
> > CentOS clients from around the world.  Meanwhile, CentOS clients located
> > in nearby peered networks are randomly hitting worldwide mirrors.  This
> > means we are benefited almost not at all by running a CentOS mirror.
>
> South American people are sent your way (when you are in mirrorlists),
> as we don't have enough mirrors in .cl, .br, .ar and .cr - these are the
> lists you're in besides .us

We are in the same rack at mirror.hosef.org, and over the last few years
we've gotten traffic from all over. It seems a fair exchange. I believe
discussion threads exist in the archives that address this concern via yum
for those who want to hard code their local mirror to the local clients they
manage.

> > Are you able at least to list our mirror at the top for clients asking
> > for a mirrorlist from two particular ASN's?
>
> Not with our current setup, no.
>
> > Could you also display our mirror less often for worldwide clients?  50%
> > as often would be ideal.
>
> You're only getting listed for the two american continents, and that
> happens on a random basis for everyone.

If your mirror's traffic patterns remain similar to ours, and you continue
to mirror the same distros, you'll find the CentOS traffic is heaviest for
its ISO's and DVD's, but is still eclipsed by a few of the other distros we
host. For the bandwidth and hardware you have, it should not be a concern.
We have served more, with less, for some time now. The 4.x series is still
steadily sought.

> Regards,
>
> Ralph

Respectfully