[CentOS-mirror] Bandwidth questions

James A. Peltier jpeltier at sfu.ca
Fri Mar 18 12:33:55 EDT 2011

----- Original Message -----
| I'm setting up a public mirror (ftp only so far) on one of our servers
| and was wondering what kind of bandwidth usage to plan for. We have
| about 100M overall at this site, but I want to make sure that I can
| limit the rate appropriately. I had planned on doing this using the
| ftp
| server's configuration (vsftpd).
|
| Anyone have any notes on a good ballpark figure for maximum number of
| connections and maximum bandwidth per connection? Any horror stories,
| grim warnings or sage advice appreciated.

I was averaging about 50-100MBps when I initially deployed.  When the mirror was in full swing I was saturating my Gigabit switches.  It's now been throttled to 20MBps during peak hours if you aren't on CA*Net or Canarie and if you are 50MBps during peak hours.

--
James A. Peltier
IT Services - Research Computing Group
E-Mail  : jpeltier at sfu.ca