[CentOS-mirror] Bandwidth questions

Jonathan Thurman JThurman at nwresd.k12.or.us
Tue Mar 22 12:24:44 EDT 2011

> From: centos-mirror-bounces at centos.org [centos-mirror-bounces at centos.org] on behalf of Jim Kusznir

> So do users have a suggestion on how to throttle / rate limit their
> mirror server?  Mine sits on a gig-e connection, and I just got a call
> from campus IT questioning the amount of bandwidth I'm using...Right
> now, I'm running it "fully open", but I may have to restrict that, at
> least during certain hours.  I run http, ftp, and rsync on my server.

Rsync I haven't throttled bandwith usage, but have capped the max number of concurrent connections.  Unless someone is creating a fresh copy of the mirror, then rsync is rather efficient.  I also do not see a lot of users connecting over rsync.

If you are using vsftp, then you could add something like this to your /etc/vsftp/vsftp.conf:

# Max transfer rate 10 Mb
anon_max_rate=10485760

HTTP I haven't looked at that much, but EPEL has mod_bw that restricts the maximum connections and bandwidth.  I have not tested mod_bw though, as bandwidth luckily hasn't become an issue yet for our mirror...

-Jonathan