[CentOS-mirror] Bandwidth questions

Kevin Stange kevin at steadfast.net
Tue Mar 22 14:02:41 EDT 2011

On 03/22/2011 11:24 AM, Jonathan Thurman wrote:
>> From: centos-mirror-bounces at centos.org [centos-mirror-bounces at centos.org] on behalf of Jim Kusznir
>
>> So do users have a suggestion on how to throttle / rate limit their
>> mirror server?  Mine sits on a gig-e connection, and I just got a call
>> from campus IT questioning the amount of bandwidth I'm using...Right
>> now, I'm running it "fully open", but I may have to restrict that, at
>> least during certain hours.  I run http, ftp, and rsync on my server.
>
> HTTP I haven't looked at that much, but EPEL has mod_bw that restricts the maximum connections and bandwidth.  I have not tested mod_bw though, as bandwidth luckily hasn't become an issue yet for our mirror...

We used to cap HTTP and mod_bw worked well for us with exclusions for
our local IP ranges in order to provide them maximum speed.  We don't
cap anymore though and I've never capped FTP or rsync.  I didn't open up
other protocols until we decided to stop capping.

--
Kevin Stange
Chief Technology Officer