[CentOS-virt] Vmware Server 2 and KVM....

James Hogarth james.hogarth at gmail.com
Mon Aug 16 11:05:07 EDT 2010

On 16 August 2010 15:55, Tom Bishop <bishoptf at gmail.com> wrote:
> Just so you guys don't think I'm off my rocker...well not totally anyway ;)
> I did come across this post in fedora forum that got me to think it might
> work....
>

> Currently, I have VMware Server 2.0 and KVM on the same headless machine
> with 4G mem, AMD 4400+. It's running for a small business, therefore, I
> don't mind the performance. However, 2 win2k advance servers on the VMware
> server 2.0, 2 win2k advance servers, a XP desktop and a m0n0wall firewall on
> the KVM are both running fantastically.
>
> I'm a fedora fan, but the PC server which I set up is running on Debian
> Lenny (Proxmox, you guys might have heard).
>
> I believe that KVM is better, though, I don't have any benchmark on them.
>

> So was just wondering if anyone had tried to do this with centos....looks
> like I will give it a go, all of my clients are Linux.....centos of various
> flavors...I'll report back what I find out...

In theory it'll work if you make sure none of your vmware clients are
trying to use VMI ... it's when multiple hypervisors try to take
control of the hypervisor interface/instructions of a smv/vmx CPU that
things get messy... without VMI the vmware guests will be fully
virtualised and not trying to make use of the HVM extensions.... of
course that could effect performance a bit but might not be noticeable
over a short term....

I put together a simple conversion method I used at work to move from
vmware to KVM - happy t opost the instructions if needed.

James