[Centos] Comming from WhiteBox Linux ...

Greg Kurtzer greg at runlevelzero.net
Thu Jun 17 16:04:18 UTC 2004

My thought is that simply changing your yum.conf to point at the Centos
repositories should be sufficient. The other packages are not needed, but if
the centos repos ever move, it would be nice to just be able to update your
yumconf packages and get to the new repository.

On a similar topic:

I have seen many people now that actually purchased RHEL migrate to the Centos
repos because up2date was too slow and painful for them. And BTW, it works
perfectly! The interesting thing was that the Centos packages where we had
to fix RH branding/trademark issues had newer released, thus they were updated
from the default RH packages to Centos, which means those systems are now free
from the RH marks as well...

I wonder if they would still have to pay a license to RH for those systems...

Rick, are you lurking?

On Thu, Jun 17, 2004 at 11:14:36AM +0200, Petr Klima told me:
> Hello
>
>   several months ago I install WhiteBox Linux on several severs, I was
> happy, not woriing about upgrading every 1,5 year as when I use RH 4.0,
> 6.0, 7.3, 9.0 ....
>
>   And then WhiteBox went black, WBEL updates release slowed down and
> maintainer wont help form anybody. Just telling "If you want quick
> updates, build it yourself.".
>
>   I prefer wasting time for customizations and/or improvements instead
> of things which can be done once and then shared in comunity.
>
>   So, I try to change may servers from WhiteBox to CentOS.
>
> I get a lot of help form Milan Kerslager which shifted form WBEL to Tao.
>
> I just wonder if there are any known issues.
>
> On my test server I only install "centos-release" and removed
> "whitebox-release" and did "yum update" from CentOS repositories.
>
> It just works.
>

> The question is if I need those :
>
> centos-yumcache
> centos-yumconf
>
> especialy centos-yumconf because it contains same cfg file as yum

Greg M. Kurtzer
http://runlevelzero.net/
http://caosity.org/
http://warewulf-cluster.org/