[Centos] GFS for CentOS-3

John Newbigin

jn at it.swin.edu.au
Mon Nov 1 01:02:07 UTC 2004

For packages modified in CentOS-2, I have a build script which modifies
the rpm release string.
Release:     2.1.4
becomes
Release:     2.1.4%{centos_version}%{centos_release}

and
%define centos_version .c2
%define centos_release .1
is added to the top of the spec file.

The centos_version indicates what OS version is being targeted (c2 =
CentOS-2)
The centos_release is the version of the modifications I have made.
When the real release is updated, I start numbering at 1.  If I need to
make a modification because of a centos only issue (like initscripts)
then I update the centos_release to the next number.  This provides
useful rpm release number strings and does not make the full package
name too long (though still tricky to read mozilla-mail-1.4.3-2.1.4.c2.1).

I always start centos_release at .1.  Most changes are spec only but
some packages have new/extra files (like apache which has a centos
default web page).  I do not modify the existing files in the rpm but
replace files as necessary with the prep/build rpm scriptlets.

When I built GFS, I reused my existing scripts so I also reused the
numbering system, except with centos_version = .c3

One thing I do not do is alter the changelog.  This is because it was
too hard to script and get all the entries in the correct order.  I have
not got round to trying mezzanine yet, I am hoping it can solve that
problem for me.

I hope that explains everything :)

John.