[Centos] Problems with CentOS 3.3 Disk2 Iso Image?

Scott Sharkey ssharkey at linuxunlimited.com
Tue Oct 12 21:41:56 UTC 2004

donavan nelson wrote:
> Geoff where did you get this information?  I'd be interesting in reading
> it.
>
> Typically, these issues are:
> 1) cheap/low quality media,

Multiple disks burned, using various brands.  Only disk2 fails, others
are fine.  Every time.

> 2) burning at 48X and hoping that old 4x IDE cdrom will read the disk
> while trying to install.

Burned at 4x, read in a 52x drive that is less than 6 months old.

> As a test, turn around and mount mount the CD on the machine that burned
> the disk and try doing a "cp -a" off the cd to your hard disk.

I will try that.

> A better option, particularly if you have enough machines is to setup a
> machine as a install server.  Over the lan it's much faster than CD (for
> me any YMMV).  This box can also be turned into a local repository for
> yum updates.  It's also much faster doing an upgrade off a local box. :)

I'm building from scratch.  It's not an upgrade.  Still may be a better
way though.  Can you still install over HTTP?

-Scott