[CentOS] bash file direct execution

Will McDonald wmcdonald at gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 09:05:23 UTC 2005

On 02/08/05, dan1 <dan1 at edenpics.com> wrote:
> So the question is: does anybody know what program is in charge of parsing
> that '#!/bin/sh' information, which apparently makes an error in the parsing

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shebang answers that.

The "file" package will certainly be needed for this to function
correctly but I imagine your system would be really badly broken
without.

<----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->
# rpm -qf magic
file-4.12-1.FC3.1
# rpm -qi file
Name        : file                         Relocations: (not relocatable)
Version     : 4.12                              Vendor: Red Hat, Inc.
Release     : 1.FC3.1                       Build Date: Mon 31 Jan
2005 08:48:36 GMT
Install Date: Mon 21 Mar 2005 12:32:19 GMT      Build Host:
tweety.build.redhat.com
Group       : Applications/File             Source RPM:
file-4.12-1.FC3.1.src.rpm
Size        : 1415765                          License: distributable
Signature   : DSA/SHA1, Mon 31 Jan 2005 17:03:19 GMT, Key ID b44269d04f2a6fd2
Packager    : Red Hat, Inc. <http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla>
Summary     : A utility for determining file types.
Description :
The file command is used to identify a file according to the type of
data it contains. File can identify many different file types,
including ELF binaries, system libraries, RPM packages, and different
graphics formats.

Peter mentioned the possibility of your partitions being mounted
noexec, what's the output of a "mount" command?

Will.