[CentOS] Re: Upgrade RedHat 9 to Fedora

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Wed Aug 3 18:48:22 UTC 2005

Steven Vishoot <sir_funzone at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Ugo,
> hmmmm at first i was saying to myself, well sudo said
> that he knew about the riserfs support in centosplus
> directory but that he cant do that with kickstart. Now
> i see what you are talking about, use kickstart and
> then do a yum update kernel(for riserfs) and then
> reboot. ah i see said the blind man to the deaf man.

Which is why I _never_ make my root (/) filesystem anything
but Ext3.  I can always use basically any kernel 2.2 or later
Ext2 implementation to read it.

I also tend to make my /tmp and /var filesystems Ext3, but
with 2-4 as many inodes.  XFS has extents and other
fragmentation reducing features, but the performance of those
features are inversely proportional to the number of small
files.

ReiserFS' design is fluid, which means it's _dangerous_ to
boot an older kernel and mount it.  And while it's kernel
module and journaling _is_ good IMHO, if the journal replay
ever fails, the off-line recovery tools seem to be ... how
can I say this ... not always as "concurrent" with
development of the kernel/journal code.