[CentOS] Java installation problem.

Jim Perrin jperrin at gmail.com
Sun Aug 7 14:30:20 UTC 2005

> 5. # alternatives --install /usr/bin/java java /usr/local/java/bin/java 3

This is quite a bit cleaner than I've done things in the past, and
something I should probably learn.

> The default java compiler is gcj. We use the alternatives system to
> install our new Java setup without overwriting the previous gcj
> settings. If we want to use gcj, we can easily switch to that one by
> running # alternatives --config java
>
> 6. # alternatives --config java (then choose our new Java command)

After running this command, I ran alternatives --display java and
noticed that a fair amount of the slaves were not set including jre
etc. Have you worried about setting these? I've read through the
manpage for alternatives, but if you have any other documentation
sources I'd love to read them.

--
Jim Perrin
System Administrator - UIT