[CentOS] Caching nameserver -- [OT] Message-ID tracking, Subject appending

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Wed Aug 10 17:18:51 UTC 2005

Robert Hanson <roberth at abbacomm.net> wrote:
> too many threads, can we consolidate and get back on track?

If you check the Message-ID, they are _all_ the _same_
thread.

Maintaining the root subject helps avoid this, just append
follow-ups with the relevant change in focus.

E.g., I did when we went someone brought up nscd.
I did it again when BIND was clearly the focus.
I did the same when I focused on the Windows client.

If you view the archives, they are so threaded _together_.

If you [re-]append the subject, and sort by thread, date or
even subject, you can easily pick out the relevant posts you
are interested in (without having to read _all_ of them).

And they still sort well by subject, _unlike_ pre-pending the
subject with something different.  That should _only_ be done
when the subject changes massively.

Mailing lists via SMTP, just like UseNet groups via NNTP, can
benefit from this approach which was laid out in the O'Reilly
Posting Guidelines from long ago.