[CentOS] KDE screensaver on Centos 4.1

BRUCE STANLEY bruce.stanley at prodigy.net
Tue Aug 23 14:10:53 UTC 2005

--- Dave <wintermutecx at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 8/18/05, Dave <wintermutecx at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >  Come to think of it, I changed my SS from slideview to Matrix a
> > couple weeks back and it ended up just blanking the screen. I didnt
> > give it much thought back then. I'll try anohter one and see what
> > happens.
> >
> > PS: I was on FC2 and copied over my home directory so its not a new
> > CentOS4 account.
>
>  Looks like some work and some dont here. In FC I only used slideshow
> and on occasion Matrix. Now matrix no longer works and some others.
>
>  Here are the errors I got.
> X error in xmatrix:
> X Error of failed request:  BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
>   Major opcode of failed request:  3 (X_GetWindowAttributes)
>   Resource id in failed request:  0x7
>   Serial number of failed request:  701
> SetGrabKeysState - enabled
>
> X error in bsod:
> X Error of failed request:  BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
>   Major opcode of failed request:  3 (X_GetWindowAttributes)
>   Resource id in failed request:  0x7
>   Serial number of failed request:  702
> SetGrabKeysState - enabled
>
> HTH

Hi Dave!
Don't know if you caught my last post on this so just in case I'll
re-post it here.  In a nutshell, I bypassed KDE for running Screen savers.

>From prior post:

I found a work-around that allows most of the screen savers to
work.  Some of the GL savers are still a little slugish or buggy.

I installed the latest KDE updates in the Centos 4.1 update repository
but that did not solve the problem.

I ran  man xscreensaver  and found out a way to run xscreensaver that
bypasses KDE and this got around the problem.

I did the following:

  1).  ran control-center and turned screensavers off in KDE.

  2). created a file named  xscreensaver.desktop  and placed it
      in by  ~.kde/Autostart  directory.

      The file contains the following lines:

      [Desktop Entry]
      Exec=xscreensaver
      Name=XScreensaver
      Type=Application
      X-KDE-StartupNotify=false

  3). then I created a program launcher on my desktop that runs
      xscreensaver-demo  when I want to change to different screen savers.

Now xscreensaver startups when I login and my screen savers work!