[CentOS] CentOS and Dell Support

Matt Morgan minxmertzmomo at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 00:11:54 UTC 2005

On 12/4/05, Bryan J. Smith <thebs413 at earthlink.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-12-04 at 15:47 -0500, Matt Morgan wrote:
> > Also, any recommendations for which Dell PERC or Dell SATA RAID
> > adapters can I expect to work nicely with CentOS?
>
> If RHEL supports them, CentOS will support them.
>
> > If, on the other hand, Dell gives you trouble for CentOS installs, and
> > you have recommendations for other server vendors, let me know. In
> > particular, one that can provide on-site warranty support in Toronto,
> > Canada, would be great.
>
> Most Tier-1 OEMs don't want to support anything but a combined
> hardware/software solution.

Right, that is what they told me.

> With that said, many Tier-2 and whitebox OEMs cater to multiple OSes.
> Several system integrators lurk on the Red Hat AMD64 list:
>
> I also mentioned decade-old ASL recently as shipping CentOS as an
> additional option to Fedora Core and RHEL:
>   http://www.aslab.com
>
> > I'm only interested in i386 architecture, by the way.
>
> Since Dell doesn't ship AMD on its servers, it makes little difference.
>
> Although I wouldn't put more than 1-2GiB RAM in the servers.
> If you need more than 2GiB, I'd be looking towards AMD.

Thanks to everyone for the responses. When I said i386, I misused
it--what I really meant to say was "PC-Style", as in, not Sparc or
MIPS or whatever. AMD64 would be fine too, although in this case I
don't really need the power.

I'll look into ASL. They may not sell exactly what I'm looking for in
this case (a low-end, tower form factor server) but they look pretty
cool in general.

Thanks,
Matt