[CentOS] Dovecot w/ MySQL Source RPM Issues

Jeffrey Tadlock linux at elfshadow.net
Tue Dec 6 19:03:08 UTC 2005

Jeffrey Tadlock wrote:
> It appears that the stock RPM for Dovecot comes with Postgres, but not
> MySQL support.
>
> It looks like I need to download the source RPM and then rebuild it with
> MySQL support.  Could someone outline the steps I need to do this or
> point me to a good resource?  I have not worked with source RPMs in the
> past, but it looks like it is time to learn!

This morning I pulled down the source RPM for Dovecot in an attempt to
get MySQL support.  The first thing I tried was the steps here:

http://www3.sympatico.ca/sarrazip/dev/rpm-building-crash-course.html

Where I created my own build area under my user directory and then ran

rpmbuild -bb dovecot.spec

This started failing here:

+ aclocal
configure.in:272: warning: underquoted definition of AC_TYPEOF
   run info '(automake)Extending aclocal'
   or see http://sources.redhat.com/automake/automake.html#Extending-aclocal
configure.in:497: warning: underquoted definition of AC_CHECKTYPE2
aclocal:configure.in:15: warning: macro `AM_ICONV' not found in library
configure.in:13: warning: AC_ARG_PROGRAM invoked multiple times
+ autoconf
configure.in:13: warning: AC_ARG_PROGRAM invoked multiple times
configure.in:15: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_ICONV
       See the Autoconf documentation.

I then tried rpmbuild -ba dovecot.spec and it too failed with a similar
message to above.

 From that point I re-downloaded dovecot-0.99.11-2.EL4.1.src.rpm from a
CentOS 4.2 mirror and tried this:

rpmbuild --rebuild dovecot-0.99.11-2.EL4.1.src.rpm

Which also errored out with this:

+ aclocal
configure.in:272: warning: underquoted definition of AC_TYPEOF
   run info '(automake)Extending aclocal'
   or see http://sources.redhat.com/automake/automake.html#Extending-aclocal
configure.in:497: warning: underquoted definition of AC_CHECKTYPE2
aclocal:configure.in:15: warning: macro `AM_ICONV' not found in library
configure.in:13: warning: AC_ARG_PROGRAM invoked multiple times
+ autoconf
configure.in:13: warning: AC_ARG_PROGRAM invoked multiple times
configure.in:15: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_ICONV
       See the Autoconf documentation.

I am probably missing something obvious, but not sure what.  In the end
I just want a dovecot RPM with MySQL support.  If there is a better,
more maintainable way to acheive that goal than working with the source
RPMs I am open to suggestions.

Thanks!
Jeffrey