[CentOS] Re: Anyone here install Java Studio Creator with CentOS 4?

Alex White ethericalzen at gmail.com
Sat Dec 10 17:46:11 UTC 2005

Preston Crawford wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-12-10 at 11:35 -0600, Alex White wrote:
>
>>Preston Crawford wrote:

>>>Other than the Kernel and version of GCC?
>>>
>>>:-)
>>>
>>>Yes, I know things have changed. Just unsure (not being a systems guy)
>>>why it wouldn't see the newer version of libstdc++ and be fine with it.
>>>
>>>Preston
>>
>>You could create a softlink with a different version number to see
>>if the app stops complaining. This sometimes fixes little issues
>>like that, but it's not the most elegant way I know.
>>
>>You can destroy the symlink if that doesn't help.
>

> What would I be symlinking to?
>
> Preston

Well libstdc++ exists in /usr/lib/ on my system 4 U2 it's:

[prata at crane ~]$ ls -la /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.
libstdc++.so.5      libstdc++.so.6
libstdc++.so.5.0.7  libstdc++.so.6.0.3

(this is what results display when I tab /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.)

Now, if you know that your application is erroring off with
something similar to "unable to locate libstdc++.so.2" Just as an
example, then you could do something like: ln -s
/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5 /usr/lib/libstdc.so.2

This would fake the app out if it's just lookin' for a library with
that name, as some apps tend to do.

If that doesn't work then just delete your symlink and all will be
right with the world. Make sure not to delete the actual library
though, I've done somethin' stupid like that before lol

HTH

Alex White