[CentOS] oom-killer.

J.J.Garcia stigmatedbrain at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 18:58:09 UTC 2005

Yes i start thinking so, it's almost the same situation and experienced b4
somtimes burning the cpu others eating the remaining available RAM but not
arriving to oom-killer call just this time,

Thx everybody for pointing.

[sm0ketst at smarteyebox ~]$ firefox -v
Mozilla Firefox 1.0.7, Copyright (c) 1998 - 2005 mozilla.org

[sm0ketst at smarteyebox ~]$ rpm -q firefox
firefox-1.0.7-1.4.1.centos4

But just a dummy question, can a started process like this launched from the
user space become as big eater of memmory without being stopped/killed b4 by the
kernel? i mean, im i having i as a normal user this facility of stashing the system?

Maybe it is a non-sense question due im not expert with the kernel core, but i
start thinking im doing something wrong if launching the web browser in my
normal unprivileged user account im able to drive the system to swap limits
forcing this trap to occur... but trying to be possitive it's not a complain...

TIA all folks

J.J.

Andreas Rogge wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, den 14.12.2005, 12:13 +0100 schrieb J.J.Garcia:
>
>>Finally inspected the syslog and realize the oom-killer was called to leave the
>>system stable having killed firefox-bin, 3 x rosetta, xmms and one nautilus.
>>

> Hello J.J.,
>
> I think it was firefox who ate all your memory and the situation
> returned to normal when it got killed.
> I'm sometimes running into problems with firefox. It eats the whole
> memory (1.5 GB) and when I unlock the screen in the morning I have to
> wait almost a minute for my desktop returning from swap. Even
> xscreensaver gets swapped so I have to wait for the password prompt.
>
> AFAIK this is a known issue and it is being worked on by the Firefox
> developers.
>
> Regards,
> Andreas

Linux smarteyebox.stigmatedbrain.net 2.6.9-22.0.1.EL i686 GNU/Linux