[CentOS] which iso package for AMD Clawhammer 3700+ 64

Bryan J. Smith thebs413 at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 22 22:56:44 UTC 2005

rado <rado at rivers-bend.com> wrote:
> I only lack a couple mins from having the 4.2-x86_64 cds
> from the bittorrent. It says it's to handle the AMD Athlon
64
> Opteron

Yes, all Athlon 64, Opteron as well as the newer Sempron 64
(select Socket-754/939 versions, but no Socket-462).

> and Intel's xeon.

Only the newer "Prescott" Socket-604 Xeon and select LGA-775
Pentium 4s with EM64T.

> Did I get the right package for this Clawhammer off the
> bittorrent or just which package do y'all suggest for this
> processor???

Having the 64-bit ALU and double the 128-bit XMM registers
are nice, as well as the newer cores with more Intel SSE
microcoded support.  But the "main difference" between 32-bit
and 64-bit are the memory models as I explain in this blog
article here:
http://thebs413.blogspot.com/2005/10/what-is-x86-64-long-mode-memory-model.html

--
Bryan J. Smith     Professional, Technical Annoyance                      b.j.smith at ieee.org      http://thebs413.blogspot.com