[CentOS] which iso package for AMD Clawhammer 3700+ 64

Phil Schaffner Philip.R.Schaffner at nasa.gov
Wed Dec 21 16:13:07 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-12-21 at 10:14 -0500, Sam Drinkard wrote:
> rado wrote:

Note: This thread hijacked "[CentOS] Install from a USB CDrom?"
Proper netiquette would dictate initiating a new thread rather than
replying to an existing one. :-)

> >Hi!
> >
> >In the next few days...maybe even this afternoon, I will be putting
> >together a 64 w/the AMD Clawhammer 3700+ 64.
> >
> >This is my first experience w/64 architecture...so I need not say more
> >on that.
> >
> >I only lack a couple mins from having the 4.2-x86_64 cds from the
> >bittorrent. It says it's to handle the AMD Athlon 64 Opteron  and
> >Intel's xeon.
> >
> >Did I get the right package for this Clawhammer off the bittorrent or
> >just which package do y'all suggest for this processor???
> >
> >thx in advance,
> >
> >John Rose
> >

> John, I suspect you got the right package.  I'm running it here on a
> dual Xeon machine, and aside from the few quirks of library duplications
> and the lack of a JVM for the browser, it does very well.  I'm too lazy
> to install the 32-bit version of Firefox or Mozilla either one and go
> thru all the drill of installing the java vm, but I don't normally use
> that box for surfing.   It's normally tied up running wx models, and
> that takes just about all the process time I can get from it.

[OT - Sam, I would be interested in your experiences running weather
models.  We work weather/hazard sensing issues for aviation safety and
may want to run wx models locally in the future.]

Setting up 32-bit browsers/plugins is a bit of a PITA, but is quite
doable.  The following set of packages works-for-me:

acroread-7.0.0-2.rf.i386
firefox-1.5-1.c4.centos4.i386
j2re-1.4.2_06-13.LaRC.i586
mozilla-1.7.12-1.4.1.centos4.i386
mozilla-acroread-7.0.0-2.rf.i386
mozilla-chat-1.7.12-1.4.1.centos4.i386
mozilla-devel-1.7.12-1.4.1.centos4.i386
mozilla-dom-inspector-1.7.12-1.4.1.centos4.i386
mozilla-js-debugger-1.7.12-1.4.1.centos4.i386
mozilla-mail-1.7.12-1.4.1.centos4.i386
mozilla-nspr-1.7.12-1.4.1.centos4.i386
mozilla-nspr-1.7.12-1.4.1.centos4.x86_64
mozilla-nspr-devel-1.7.12-1.4.1.centos4.i386
mozilla-nss-1.7.12-1.4.1.centos4.i386
mozilla-nss-1.7.12-1.4.1.centos4.x86_64
mozilla-nss-devel-1.7.12-1.4.1.centos4.i386
mozilla-nss-devel-1.7.12-1.4.1.centos4.x86_64

The j2re package is a local rebuild (due to Sun license/dependency
weirdness) but equivalent ones can be found elsewhere.  The firefox is
from CentOS testing, but the current production version also works fine.

Phil