[CentOS] App add/delete and changing from CD install to LAN

Wed Dec 28 14:56:05 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-12-28 at 08:47 -0600, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-12-28 at 09:27 -0500, Jim Perrin wrote:
> > > And what do I ask for say for Thunderbird?
> > >
> > > yum install thunderbird
> >
> > Yes. That's the general idea of it. Read up on the documentation for
> > yum to learn all the tricks.
>
> There is also this guide to using yum for CentOS:
>
> http://mirror.centos.org/centos/4/docs/html/yum/

Sorry to double post, but this is important :)

http://mirror.centos.org/centos/4/docs/html/yum/sn-software-management-tools.html

The above link discusses the "Add/Remove Packages" software (known as
system-config-packages).  That package is included so that if you are
doing an install off off the ISOs and will NOT EVER be updating the
install (not a good idea if it is connected to the internet), then you
can use system-config-packages to install more software.

Here is the note:

The system-config-packages utility can ONLY be used if you do not update
any packages and install only from the CD/DVD. This utility will fail if
updates have been done.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes