[CentOS] SOLVED: Building PHP PECL modules

Aleksandar Milivojevic alex at milivojevic.org
Fri Dec 30 03:59:28 UTC 2005

Aleksandar Milivojevic wrote:
> I'm attempting to build some PECL modules on fully updated CentOS 4.2
> system.  Preferably pack them into nice RPM packages.  However, seems
> I'm missing something.  For example, this is what I get for sqlite module:
>
> $ pear makerpm SQLite-1.0.3.tgz
> `phpize' failed
>
> The php-devel package is installed (so I do have phpize command).  It's
> just that it is failing.  If I unpack the files into directory, and do
> "pear build" or "pear install", I'm getting a bit more verbose error:
>
> $ pear build
> running: phpize
> configure.in:9: warning: underquoted definition of PHP_WITH_PHP_CONFIG
>   run info '(automake)Extending aclocal'
>   or see http://sources.redhat.com/automake/automake.html#Extending-aclocal
> configure.in:32: warning: underquoted definition of PHP_EXT_BUILDDIR
> configure.in:33: warning: underquoted definition of PHP_EXT_DIR
> configure.in:34: warning: underquoted definition of PHP_EXT_SRCDIR
> configure.in:35: warning: underquoted definition of PHP_ALWAYS_SHARED
> acinclude.m4:19: warning: underquoted definition of PHP_PROG_RE2C
> configure.in:65: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_PROG_LIBTOOL
>       If this token and others are legitimate, please use m4_pattern_allow.
>       See the Autoconf documentation.
> `phpize' failed

Ah...  Where were my eyes.  Probably joined my brain that went on
vacation long time ago...  The error message complains about undefined
macro "AC_PROG_LIBTOOL".  Of course.  I was missing the libtool utility.
  "yum install libtool", and now PECL modules are happily building.

Thanks to everyone who tried to help me out.  There were some
interesting bits of information in replies.  Especially thanks to
Alexnader for the spec file.

Happy New Year to everyone.